Assistant Plant Engineer
As part of our Engineering team, you would analyze data, draft implementation plans for production process optimization. Seeking out ways to maximize efficiencies by eliminating the waste of valuable resources that directly impact our overall operating costs. You are instrumental to the manufacturing of Smithfield, Eckrich, Nathan’s Famous, and our other product brands, to meet the needs of our customers and consumers.
Under the direction of the Plant Engineer, the Assistant Plant Engineer is responsible for managing the activities of the maintenance department of a plant to keep building and equipment in proper state of repair, in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flow and production lines running at maximum efficiency. Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventative/ Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.). This position works Monday - Friday with weekend work as required.
Compensation$85,500 - $143,000; midpoint $115,500
- Lead the Maintenance Department effort in the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventive/Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Ensure proper scheduling of resources to maximize amount of work completed while minimizing plant downtime. Additionally, these systems will provide maximum plant capacity, while minimizing cost. The result is reduced unscheduled downtime, creating higher plant efficiency.
Maintenance Staff and Safety
- Manage the maintenance staff through delegation, policy and procedure administration, assignment of work responsibilities, planning, organizing, directing and follow-up of the work assignment.
- Champion plant safety efforts within the department through administration and enforcement of company and plant policies/procedures. Facilitate employee training.
- Participate in and drive long-term solution development. Under the direction of the Plant Engineer, deliver day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Ensure the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues in a positive work environment.
- Capital project development and post-approval management.
- Assist Plant Enigneer in management and scheduling of project elements to ensure minimal interruption to plant operations.
- Delivers finished projects as designed, on time and on budget with no safety, food safety or environmental issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators with the Plant Engineer for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university and 5+ years of related experience in a manufacturing environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor's degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Possess thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and CMMS systems.
- Possess advanced technical skills in the mechanical and/or electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical systems, etc).
- Must be able to lead resource planning and management efforts in a large manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order process, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.