Associate Human Resource Manager
This position is responsible for assisting the Human Resources Manager in the operation of the business unit’s HR Department with the purpose of maintaining an effective and efficient human resource function. Possesses specialized knowledge of HR Systems, processes and procedures. This position is intended to provide training and experience to prepare incumbent to assume other leadership roles (i.e. Human Resources Manager) in same or other business unit of the organization. This position works primarily Monday - Friday with Saturday work as needed.
Compensation$66,000 - $109,500; midpoint $87,500
- Maintain a positive labor/employee relations environment for the affected business unit. Facilitate workplace investigations or other inquires (under guidance of HR Manager) arising out of needs expressed by employees and/or manifestation of policy or rule infraction(s).
- Assure production employee retention for the business unit is maintained at an acceptable level to achieve business unit success. This also includes data entry into the time/attendance keeping system and management of the job/vacation bid processes.
- Coordinate all staffing functions for exempt and non-exempt employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, orientation, and training.
- Oversee the development and execution of the business unit’s AA plan; focus work to ensure AAP goals are achieved during entire employment process.
- Oversee the handling of employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
- May assist Human Resources Manager in providing position and performance guidance based upon human resources policies and procedures including the collective bargaining agreements. Including but not limited to grievance meetings, records entry/management, employee inquiries, community relations activities, temporary staffing services and invoice management.
- Provide direction/leadership to HR clerk or HR Assistant in servicing employee needs and performing the overall Human Resources & employment functions for the business unit, as needed.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business Management or related field, and 3+ years of Human Resources related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Leadership/project management experience preferred.
- General knowledge of employment laws and practices.
- Posses specialized knowledge of HR systems, processes and procedures.
- Experience in administration of benefits, compensation and other programs; preferred.
- Knowledge of Human Resource systems; Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software and Microsoft Word Processing software.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customer or employees of organization.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The majority of the time is spent in an office setting outside of the production plant. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- This position may have oversight of the clerical functions of HR.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.