Power Motive Technician
OPEN INTERVIEWS DAILY!
MONDAY - FRIDAY from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Join our Smithfield Family and be a part of our more than 63,000 employees working across 32 U.S. states and eight countries. We offer great opportunities for growth and advancement, academic scholarships and one of the best safety records in the industry.
We’re looking for motivated people who want to join our team and grow lasting and meaningful careers with us. We offer plenty of opportunities in multiple locations. That means greater flexibility for you and your family to become part of helping us produce "Good food. Responsibly.®"
Our team members receive industry-leading wages and are eligible for great benefits packages:
- Power Motive Techs Competitive Starting Pay at $21.80/ Hour and up to $32.70/ Hour
- Comprehensive Health Insurance, Retirement Benefits and More
- Looking to move to the area? $2,500 Relocation Packages are available (eligibilities apply)
In addition, we offer opportunites for career growth, professional development, and tuition assistance.
Upon successful completion your first 90-days of employment with us, you’ll be eligible to select either a:
- $175.00 gift card to Best Buy or Apple
- $150.00 gift card to Walmart or Amazon
Join our family today. Apply Now!
Knowledge of operating, testing, troubleshooting and repairing ammonia-based refrigeration systems, and HVAC, stand-alone “rack” systems, and boiler and hot water systems. Basic knowledge of General Maintenance and Electrical and Electronic Systems are also required. The associate must be able to work in a team environment, or individually with little or no supervision. Must comply with all Company SAFETY rules (LOCKOUT/TAGOUT, ETC), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), and all Process Safety Management (PSM) regulations.
- Operation, testing, troubleshooting and repair of the ammonia-based refrigeration system, its sub-systems and all ancillary processes and/or equipment related to the operation of the refrigeration system.
- Operation, testing, troubleshooting and repair of all rack-mounted, stand-alone gas refrigerant HVAC units.
- Operation, testing, troubleshooting and repair of boiler and hot water systems, their sub-systems and all ancillary equipment related to the operation of the boiler and/or hot water systems.
- Perform refrigeration, HVAC, boiler and hot water system PM’s.
- Maintains the material integrity of the engine and utility rooms in accordance with established best practices.
- Rebuilds ammonia, HVAC, boiler and hot water system components in accordance with technical manuals.
- Complete all applicable documentation in performance of and as required by the job including but not limited to: PSM-related modifications or changes, Work Orders (WO’s), refrigeration system operation notes, and as deemed necessary by upper management.
- Adheres to all Environmental Management Systems/ISO 14001 practices and procedures.
- Adheres to all Company policies including but not limited to: safety, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Actively participates in all assigned team meetings, training opportunities and designated interaction-required forums.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and 1+ years of related experience and/or training in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing environment; or 4 years’ direct experience in an industrial mechanical maintenance or food manufacturing maintenance environment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents, such as blue prints, safety rules, operating and maintenance manuals and procedure manuals.
- Must have the ability to write routine correspondence, i.e. preventative maintenance procedures, email, etc.
- Must have the ability to calculate figures, read tape measurement, and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area and machine or equipment calibration specifications.
- Ammonia refrigeration safety, cooling units, lubricants and filtration, basic refrigeration hot gas defrost, properties of refrigeration, condensers, pressure and force, compressor types and operation, and non-condensable gases and purging.
- Ammonia refrigeration in-depth knowledge of theory and practical knowledge.
This individual must be able to complete the following requirements within the first year of accepting position.
- Ammonia Refrigeration Operator I
- Ammonia Refrigeration Operator II
- Ammonia Refrigeration Operator III
- PSM/RMP, meeting OSHA Standard 29CFR 1910.119
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions however, this position does require the candidate to be in good health due to the nature of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers; handle, feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
Why Work at Smithfield Foods?
We are committed to meeting our employees' needs, addressing their concerns and helping them enjoy rewarding careers with our company.
With more than 60,000 jobs globally, our employees drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield FoodsHeadquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly®" and serve as one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies.
We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030.
We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others.
For more information connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.